Senior Software Engineer
The goal of the Senior Software Engineer is to support Makedu to produce and implement functional software solutions for our clients. The successful candidate will work with the Director of Software Engineering and clients to define software requirements and take the lead on operational and technical projects.
Makedu is an IT firm that truly understands sustainable development. We create impactful software solutions that help achieve the sustainable development goals.
Makedu has a successful track record with international development partners such as UNICEF, UNDP, IOM, The World Bank and other bilateral organizations.
1. Interfacing with clients to understand their business, processes, goals and visions for the project.
2. Performing high-quality work that surpasses the need of the client.
3. Ensure the Lead Software Engineers and Software Engineers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users.
4. Analyze system specifications and create detailed software development plans and assign tasks to Lead Software Engineers.
5. Scope development effort, and provide reliable resource and timeline estimates.
6. Working with Software Engineers to decompose high-level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high-level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges.
7. Provide technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of the client.
8. Provide feedback to system analysts about performance considerations/usability issues concerning software specifications and implementation.
9. Mentor Software Engineers to allow for skill/knowledge development through advice, coaching, and training opportunities.
10. Determine process improvements, best practices, and develop new processes.
11. Research and recommend software tools to Software Engineers.
12. Perform performance and scalability analysis as needed.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. BSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related degree.
2. A Masters Degree will be an added advantage.
3. Must have a valid travelling passport.
4. Experience in managing a team of at least 5 Software Engineers.
5. 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
6. 4+ years of professional experience in professional web development.
1. Experience with Scrum.
2. Knowledge of Python and PHP, and the Django and Laravel Framework
3. In-depth knowledge of relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB).
4. Familiarity with various operating systems (Linux, Mac OS, Windows).
5. Experience taking a project from scoping requirements, development through to the actual launch of the project.
6. Experience using system monitoring tools (e.g. New Relic) and automated testing frameworks.
7. Ability to provide in-depth evaluation and analysis of unique complex technological issues.
8. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
9. Excellent organization and time management skills.
10. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
11. Demonstrated ability to lead others.
12. Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties.
1. Detail-oriented Knowledge of the 17 Sustainable Development Goal.
2. Must be able to work both in a group and as an individual.
3. Must be empathetic.
4. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
5. Ability and willingness to learn new skills to improve on self and the organization.
6. Good time management skills.
7. Firm knowledge
8. Project management skills
9. Relationship building and conflict resolution skills.
10. Must be emotionally intelligent
11. Must be able to coach, mentor, delegate and motivate.
12. Must be able to manage performance
13. Self-directed and self-motivated
14. Multitasking results-oriented
Mode of Application
Application is strictly via Makedu Consult website. Visit our careers page to apply now: https://makeduconsult.com
Deadline for application: Monday, December 16, 2019, at 3:00 PM GMT.